Skip to Main Content
Ask About Financing

What should I do if my dog has been stung by a bee?

Posted Jan 30th, 2024

What should I do if my dog has been stung by a bee?

If you think your dog has been stung by a bee on its paw or its body it is important to monitor them for an allergic reaction, which would require immediate veterinary care. In most cases, dogs should begin to feel better within a few hours after a bee sting, and you can focus on making them more comfortable. 

How can I tell if my dog has been stung by a bee?

Drooling, swelling, excessive licking, and pawing at a particular area are the most obvious symptoms that will alert you to the presence of a bacterial infection. Additionally, if your dog is digging around in a flower bush while crying out, it is possible that it is safe to assume that a bee sting is the cause of the problem.

The most common spots for bee stings on dogs include the pads of the feet, the mouth, and the face.

What do I do if my dog has been stung?

After a sting, it is important to keep an eye out for any allergic reactions in your dog. In the meantime, you should call your regular veterinarian to inform them of what has occurred and inquire as to whether or not they would like you to bring your dog in for an appointment.

Monitoring Your Dog for an Allergic Reaction

The most important thing to do immediately following a bee sting is to watch for an allergic reaction. Dogs who have been stung before or who are stung by multiple bees at once time are more likely to have an allergic reaction.

It's crucial to keep an eye on your pet's breathing if the sting site swells noticeably, especially if it's on the neck or face. Take your dog to an emergency vet right away if you suspect that she isn't breathing enough or that she is beginning to gasp or wheeze.

If your dog begins to throw up within five to ten minutes of being stung or if his gums become increasingly pale, this may be an indication that he is experiencing anaphylactic shock. If your dog exhibits either of these symptoms, you should take him to an emergency veterinarian as soon as possible.

Other dangerous signs of an allergic reaction include significant drooling, agitation, or sudden aggression.

Making Your Dog More Comfortable

If 30 minutes to an hour have passed and your dog is showing no signs of an allergic reaction, you can focus on making them more comfortable.

In this case, your veterinarian may have already recommended over-the-counter medications (antihistamines such as Benadryl) but be sure to use the recommended dosage for your dog.

For most dogs, the area of the sting will be sensitive and puffy. If you can see the sting site and easily remove the stinger with tweezers, do so immediately to ease pain and prevent the venom from the stinger from spreading. 

Within a few hours of receiving a sting, the majority of dogs should begin to feel better, and within a day or two, they should come back to their normal state. During this interim period, you can apply a damp towel to the area where the sting occurred in order to reduce swelling and inflammation.

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.

If you think your dog may have been stung by a bee, contact our Sawtooth Animal Center vets right away.

New Patients Welcome

Sawtooth Animal Center Bellevue is accepting new patients! Our experienced vets are passionate about the health of Bellevue companion animals. Get in touch today to book your pet's first appointment.

(208) 788-4004 Contact